Monday, September 26, 2011

Kyle's Broken Leg

Crazy but true....Kyle broke his leg during a football game. Here is the story....Coach promised Kyle all week at practice he would have the first play of the game. Kyle was seriously nervous for this but could hardly wait as well. It would be his first time to ever make a run during a football game. Saturday morning came...Dad's 35th Birthday. Before the game they had team pictures and Dad took several individual of Kyle. Kyle was ready....they started out on defense. Kyle right away made two tackles. The ball was turned over to his team. I knew this play was his along with himself. He was ready. The ball snapped and sure enough here goes Kyle running down the field. He moved around 2 guys and ran for 20 yards. But....the bummer.....the boy stepped on Kyle's leg while tackling him to the ground. Kyle's body turned and went down but his leg didn't. It stayed in the same position so it was a spiral break. Just like twisting a stick in half.

I knew something was wrong because he didn't get up. I have never gone from cheering and yelling to oh no so fast. He never cries in football and really just never cries. He is a super tough boy. The worst part as a mom was not seeing him get up. Thats when it really hit me hard. The coach came and looked. He then flag Mike over to evaluate. They both carried him off the field.

Mike was looking at his leg and then went to get the director of the football games. I sat patiently waiting on the bleachers just wondering what happened. I knew it was his leg but wasn't sure how bad or anything. Finally, Mike waved me over. I started to walk over and he met me half way. He told me get the truck and bring it as close as I could. He then told me he broke his leg. The tears swelled in my eyes but I knew I had to fight them back. He said he knew when he told Kyle to try to stand on his leg. He saw the bone wobble and said it was the weirdest looking thing he has seen.

There was still a part of me that I had hope that everything would be OK. I even had more hope when they put Kyle in the truck and he wasn't even crying. He was in pain and bummed he was missing his game. We drove him to the hospital to hear the news. ITS BROKE!!!!!!!


Kyle's X-ray of spiral brake shin bone


Broken all the way through at least 4 weeks in full leg cast!


Kyle waiting in ER for Doctor to exam X-Rays


Kyle bummed about missing his football game. Wondering if his team won or lost. But while Kyle was laying here his coach called him to see how he was. The coach told Kyle they won in over time! That made Kyle proud.


After hearing the bummer news....they wrapped Kyle's leg in a splint cast until the swelling went down. It would be until Wednesday that he would get his cool cast!










No comments: